Edith Hamilton is a patent and trade marks attorney based in Melbourne.
Edith is committed to spending time with clients to understand their objectives. She works with her clients to develop pragmatic and creative approaches to IP matters in order to identify and reach strategic goals.
Edith’s technical expertise embraces mechanical engineering, materials science and chemistry, and her experience extends into in the areas of fast moving consumer goods, including food packaging; food technology; advanced materials production and processing; fibre and textile technology; process engineering; oil and gas; clean technology; and mining technology, including explosives and blasting technology. Edith also has a keen interest in designs.
She has considerable experience in patent opposition matters – she has experience in handling multiple inter-related matters in order to secure freedom-to-operate, while maintaining the client’s own IP position. The skills and perspectives gained through defending and challenging patent cases benefits all her clients, whether she is providing IP advice or conducting patent drafting and prosecution work.
During her Master of Philosophy studies, Edith examined the use of electrospinning for manufacturing ultra-fine polymer fibres, while her engineering honours project related to the characterisation of thermoplastic toughened resin systems for use in fibre-based composites. She gained further fibre and textile technology experience when investigating polyurethane nanocomposite fibre production with the University of Queensland as part of a collaborative project with the CSIRO. Prior to commencing her patent attorney career, Edith worked as an English Document Reviewer at a Japanese patent law firm.
Edith is a past President and the current Secretary of the Victorian Branch of Materials Australia.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons), Australian National University
- Bachelor of Science, Australian National University
- Master of Philosophy (Engineering), Australian National University
- Master Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
- Fellow, Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Ordinary Member, Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Secretary, Victorian Branch of Materials Australia
- Certified Materials Professional Member, Materials Australia
- Leading IP Strategist, IAM Strategy 300, 2023