“An innovation can sprout from the unlikeliest sources into not only a valuable asset, but also something which has the ability to stand an entire technology sector on its head.”
Peer is a patent attorney with a wealth of international experience. He’s worked on major transactions involving private equity and the Chinese government as well as cross-border litigation in Europe.
His experience and global outlook means clients know their international IP rights are well protected. He also knows the value of a favourable search report, particularly at the international stage.
“Few things impress a potential licensee more than an easy path to national patent protection,” he says.
Peer was drawn to IP by innovation and the “spark” of inspiration that delivers something new.
“Seeing the evolution of that spark of an idea into a fully-fledged patent which is licensed and enforced is immensely rewarding,” he says. “As is discovering the clever nuances of an invention together with the inventor and then exploring their commercial significance, not only for the possible manufacture of the product, but also for their significance in enforcing any potential rights against competitors.”
Peer believes that as the world shifts towards greater levels of protectionism, IP will play a greater role in helping to penetrate local and international markets.
“The challenges will come in foreseeing how best to adapt the business strategy of today for the global IP constraints of tomorrow.”
- Masters of Intellectual Property Law - Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom
- Bachelor of Science – University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bachelor of Law – University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Diploma in Datametrix – University of South Africa, South Africa
- Registered UK Patent Attorney (CPA)
- Qualified Lawyer (AU, ZA, UK)
- Qualified European patent attorney
- Conseil en Propriété Industrielle (Luxembourg)